Friday, March 14, 2014

Trials and perseverance




My week has not been a fun one. Over the past 4 days, I've traveled 400 miles by taxi and hitching rides with friends, trying to replace our cruiser's radiator. I know you're probably tired of hearing about our car, but it has been the builder of my faith lately.

In December, when we paid for all of the work on our vehicle, we also paid to have a new Toyota radiator to be installed. Well, this past month, we learned that instead of using a genuine Toyota radiator, our mechanic put a Chinese knockoff in instead, probably pocketing the difference. After it cracked in 4 different places, it finally just blew on Monday. Being out $1,000 and not receiving what we paid for by someone we trusted was like a kick in the gut. And being stranded again was just frustrating. But that's another story.

Back to the search for anther radiator. So, after all of that travel, first being sold the wrong model and then making another trip to pick up the correct one, I thought I was finally nearing the end of this trial this afternoon. I had the new one in and it fit perfectly. It took a few hours to get it in, but I was finished. At least that's what I thought. As I began to fill it with water, my worst nightmares became a reality. It was leaking and not just a drop here or a drop there. It was leaking fast. As soon as I saw it, I was feeling kind of defeated. But then I remembered the verses from James about trials and was encouraged a bit.

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

I was encouraged because I was beginning to see the struggles with our car as opportunity instead of failure. Opportunity to persevere and trust Christ more. Opportunity to become closer to Him because I depend on Him. It's not easy and I'd be lying if I said that it's not frustrating at times, but, in a weird way, I was encouraged and comforted by this truth in His word today!

No comments: