Tuesday, July 10, 2012

An Evening of Study


Last night was the first night for a farm-wide study on the story of the Bible.  New Tribes Mission has a study which chronologically goes through the bible and lays the foundation for people to understand who God is, who man is and His plan for the entire human race.  The name of the material is Firm Foundations.  It's a 48 week course.  So, we will be meeting ongoing for quite some time.

I really didn't know what to expect in terms of turnout.  I put out word to our neighbors (the farm workers) through one of our own workers that we would be meeting on Tuesday evenings to study the Bible.  I asked everyone to arrive at 6:30 pm, but this is Africa and sometimes 6:30 means 7:00 or 7:30. So at 6:30 we had only a few, but as you can see from the picture, many more arrived a little later.

The first lesson was on the authority of the Bible.  Many of the people who showed up were surprised to learn that 40 people over 1600 years wrote the Bible and that it told one consistent story.  When we asked them how this could happen, they said that "God had to be the author."  Next up, Genesis and the story of Creation.  I can't wait to see what and how God teaches these friends of ours over the course of the next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I taught through this curriculum for Crossroads Middle School Sunday School. It took me two years! :o) I'll be praying for you! This is wonderful curriculum. I personally learned a LOT from it (and disagreed a very little ;o), and I feel it gives a wonderful big-picture perspective to the Scriptures!
Blessings!
-Jomona