Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Heavenly Homecoming


This was a posting today from the Whitfields about Joshua Chitambo. It was a very emotional service to attend. As a father of 5, I can't imagine how it would feel burying one of my own children. Please continue to pray for this family.

Dear Friends

It is with physical sadness but spiritual rejoicing I write to inform you that Joshua went home to be with the Lord in the early hours of Friday morning. The funeral was today and Elise and I attended along with the rest of Action Zambia's missionaries. This was a hard one to swallow even though death has become a part of everyday life as we serve here in Zambia. I had seen Joshua's father Jon the day before and we prayed together still believing God could heal his son.

At the service it was very clear that even in death God had given this young man a very special assignment.....to honor and exude an example of rejoicing in the Lord always. As siblings and friends shared it became evident that despite monumental suffering this young warrior never became bitter with what was allowed to come his way. Instead, he used it as an opportunity to minister to others (often trying to minister to him), reminding them that in all things we can rejoice in knowing that God knows and has the best plan for us.

As I reflected back on my visit with Joshua a week ago, I realized, even without speaking a word, that he at left me with that very understanding. During our visit I prayed that God would use Joshua's sickness as a platform for others to come to a saving knowledge of the Salvation of Jesus Christ. I now realize that the single tear and smile left on Joshua's face after we prayed was his way of confirming that he wanted the same, even if it cost him his life.

Let Joshua's life challenge you to consider what you are willing to give up in order that others might be saved. Remember the greatest act of love ever recorded cost Jesus his life but gained eternity for the multitudes. To those that prayed for Joshua, thank you, and know that one day I am sure you will get a big embrace from this amazing young man.

His Servant

Luke

No comments: