Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Am Just Like the Israelites

As I have read the Old Testament over the years, I have always been amazed at the forgetfulness of the Israelites.  Especially during the Exodus when God did all these miraculous things right before their eyes and five minutes later they were making idols to worship.  I've never understood how they could forget that God parted the Red Sea, for crying out loud!  He was there with them in a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  How could they doubt He was able to feed them or give them water to drink?  Well, as it turns out, I'm not so different from them and God has brought that reality to my attention over the last few weeks.  

The Sunday before we left, I had the opportunity to share with our home church about the miraculous way God had healed my brain.  I also shared how Satan had still been attacking me with anxiety because I still suffer from headaches and some weak sensations in my left side.  Then we had a time of prayer and someone in one of the services prayed, "God, let us not forget this miracle that You have done in Kerri's life."  That one little prayer stuck with me.  That day I realized that by being anxious, I was being just like the Israelites.  God has done exceedingly, abundantly more than we could have expected and we have an MRI to prove it.  How can I now be worried that He is not able to protect and preserve me, that something could still be wrong, that He is not able to take away my headaches?  It's that sneaky sin nature!  That tendency toward unbelief and self-reliance.  

So, I was sharing about my headaches with my best friend, just yesterday.  This is part of the email she sent back to me.  See if you notice a theme!  I think that God is definitely teaching me, yet again.  I hope that you will be encouraged to search your hearts along with me. 

I prayed for you this morning and specifically addressed the issue of your fear.  In praying, I was reminded of a Scripture that someone just pointed out to me a few days ago.  From Exodus 14:13.  It's when the Israelites are standing in front of the red sea wondering how they will get over it and the Egyptians and their chariots are behind them.  Even after all God had done to free them, they still doubted His care and provision for their lives.  So they are scared to death complaining to Moses saying, "Why did you bring us here to die?"  So Moses says to them, 

"Do not fear!  Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; ...The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent (also translated "while you are still.")." 

Remember that God has done a mighty work in you ... he has healed you and done exceedingly more than you could hope or think.  Through your physical issues, Satan is desperately trying to make you fear and doubt what God has done in and through you over the past few months.  But, God will fight for you while you are still before Him ... therefore, there is no need for you to fear.  He has gone before you and is upholding you.  He has ordained this time in your life and will protect and keep you.  I will be fervant in praying for you about all of this!  I'm specifically going to pray that God will just take the headaches away!!!  

So, I will choose to be still before the Lord and thank Him for all that He has already accomplished on my behalf.  I will thank Him also for using others to speak Truth into my life!

No comments: