Saturday, September 06, 2008

Happy Birthday Zambian Style


I've finally figured it out!  I was born in the wrong culture.  I should have been Zambian.  For those of you who don't know me really well, I am a prankster.  Back in the States, I developed quite a reputation with my friends because of the pranks I sometimes played.  Well, here in Zambia, things haven't changed.  They have a birthday tradition here that is right in line with my personality.  Whenever someone has a birthday, friends of that person are allowed to and, in fact, encouraged to douse the birthday boy/girl with water.

This past Wednesday, I got together with some of our Zambian friends and we decided to introduce Luke to this tradition.  I went over to Alex's house and set the trap.  We called Luke and told him that my car needed a jump.  Then we filled several buckets and balloons with water.  Alex waited at the entrance of his house and I stood beside him, responsible for opening the door so he could hit Luke with the bucket of water he was holding.  The others involved (about 7 in all) waited by the side of the house with the water balloons and other buckets of water.

The plan worked to perfection.  Luke showed up, came to the front door and knocked.  Immediately, I opened the door and Alex hit him with the first bucket of water.  Then everyone else came from around the side of the house and started pelting him with the balloons and other buckets of water.  By the time we were done, he was soaked.  He was a good sport about it and vowed that he would be paying me back in the future.  Regardless of the promised payback, I think I love this birthday tradition.

No comments: