Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Business Venture

Who said I wouldn't use my experience & education in business on the mission field?

A while back, our guard Charles Mutale told me that he envisioned opening a katemba (a small neighborhood store).  He wanted to sell things like sugar, soap, cooking oil, etc...  One of our missionary friends (Steve Allen) shared with me how he had helped his guard do the same thing, which put the thought in my head.  So, today, Charles and I went to the town market and bought supplies.  

One thing that is true in Zambia is that "a little bit can go a long way."  Just to give you some background on this family, Charles works for us during the week and leaves his wife at home where she fulfills the job of a Rock Crusher.  3-4 days a week, someone delivers large stones to her property which she breaks into smaller stones.  These small stones are then used to make gravel for roads and various other things.  It is an all day job and pays about 40,000 Kwacha or $12 a week.  

Now, though, instead of breaking bricks, Mrs. Mutale will be manning the Katemba.  And here's the great part.  Sales from the Katemba can be much more lucrative.  It is not unheard of for a stand like this to provide as much as 100,000 Kwacha or $30 a day if the location is right and they are run well.  So, we are anxiously looking forward to see how things will go.

Please be praying for Charles and his family in this new business venture.  And pray for me as I work with Charles.  Over the next several weeks, I will be coaching him on key business concepts while also trying to teach him how to do record keeping as well as inventory & cash flow analysis.

No comments: