Monday, May 26, 2008

Cooking for the Family

Please be in prayer for Kerri.  It seems that she might be suffering from the flu.  It has been making its rounds through our team and on Saturday night, after Gracyn's birthday she came down with a fever.  

Not to, in any way, make this about myself, but I think it is times like these that gives a father and husband real perspective as to the role a wife and mother plays.  I've been screaming UNCLE to God since Sunday night, but apparently He is still having fun watching me squirm.  Yes, I know I'm a wimp.  

Tonight, was kind of a "cake topper" experience.  After watching the kids all day, I needed to cook dinner.  So, I made a little "Macaroni  Surprise."  I boiled some water and cooked the noodles.  Then I went searching for the powdered cheddar cheese to mix with the noodles.  Well, to my amazement, the entire bag of cheese mix had turned into a brick of cheese mix.  I couldn't even break it up by slamming it on the counter.  I then decided to just get some spaghetti sauce and mix that with the noodles.  The only problem was that I forgot to drain the noodles.  So, now, instead of having spaghetti sauce and noodles, we had a watered down version of spaghetti sauce with noodles.  I tasted it to see if it would taste as bad as it looked-- and it did.  Especially, being that I didn't cook the noodles long enough.  

So, what did I do next?  The only viable option in my mind...  I pulled the brick of cheddar back out of the trash and started chipping away.  After getting enough chunks to successfully flavor the noodles, I mixed the two and voila "Macaroni Surprise." As soon as Kerri came into the dining room, she asked: "What smells like puke?"  To which I replied "Dinner."  Although it didn't look very eatable, Kerri, Caleb, Maddie & I ate a bowl full.  It wasn't all that bad.  At least that's what I thought, but Gracyn refused to eat any of it.  After torturing ourselves by downing this scrumptious meal, we gladly fed the rest to the dogs.

All that to say, please pray for Kerri to get healthy.  I don't know how much longer I can last!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

classic Brent, classic!

Steve said...

I just wanted to say that I did offer to bring the Roberts dinner that night, but Brent said he thought he was fine with cooking. And, I do think it was good for him to have that experience. Every cook needs to have a few experiences like that to start them off. Hopefully this is just the beginning for Brent....
Stephanie