Monday, March 10, 2008

Zambian Critters (03/03/08)


Three critter stories from a week ago. The first incident involves our street pup Chiku. I was visiting a compound church with one of the other missionaries, Steve Allen, while Kerri and the kids were back at the house doing church with Stephanie, Steve’s wife, and their children. Kerri was in the living room looking out of the window when she saw Chiku jerking his head back in forth as if he was playing tug-of-war with something. When Kerri got out there, she realized that Chiku had found his first rat (Yeah Chiku!!!). In this case, the rat was already dead, but that didn’t stop Chiku from decapitating the rat and eating its head. Yuck!!!

Incident #2 happened a little after Steve and I got back from visiting with a compound church. All of the kids and adults were in the backyard, when Kerri realized something moving beside the house. It turned out to be a snake. I don’t know what kind, but I don’t think it was poisonous. At least I hope not, because at one point I grabbed it with my hand to keep it from going under the house. After a short struggle, the snake was dead.

Incident #3 involved another rat. Kerri and I were sitting on the front porch just chatting when Kerri saw something out of the corner of her eye. A rat ran across the yard and made his way into the guardhouse. I decided that I would take the initiative and try to do away with this one. I cautiously snuck into the guard house and started moving boxes trying to find the rat’s hiding place. After moving a few boxes, the rat decided he would make a run for it. The only problem was that I was standing between him and the door. So you guessed it, I came flying out of the guard house tripping over everything. The rat made his way out and then escaped over the wall into the next yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.