Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kenyama School and Orphanage (03/03/08)



This morning after staff meeting, I went with Megan to visit Kenyama School & Orphanage. Kenyama was started by an ACTION Missionary 4 years ago. Currently, there are close to 220 children (mostly elementary aged children) from the surrounding community who are attending this school. The school also serves as an orphanage. When we visited in 2005, it was home to over 30 orphans. We’re sure that number has grown, but we don’t know exactly by how much. ACTION now assists this school by doing teacher training, providing biblical curriculum when available, paying teacher salaries and funding a feeding program. While I was there, I walked around the property and spent some time with the children. It seems that they love taking photographs. They were eating lunch in the church when I walked in with my camera. Every time I took a picture, whoever managed to get in the picture would erupt in applause. After taking several pictures, I sat down to show the children the pictures. Several of the children crowded around me just to get a glimpse of themselves in the photo. After spending a few more minutes talking with the children, finding out their names, ages, who was the best football (soccer) player, I scooted out of the side door so as not to disturb their lunchtime any longer. I honestly don’t know who had more fun, me or the children.

No comments: