Thursday, March 06, 2008

Bumpy Roads (2/18/08)

Last week one night we had to take Maddie for an overnighter at St. John’s hospital (a Zambian clinic). In order to get to the clinic we had to drive on the back roads of Kasupe, a community near the Farm. It was during this trip that God began to minister to my heart. He kind of revealed to me an illustration based on the roads we were traveling. He showed me that life is just like these dirt roads. Nothing is ever what we fully expect. Sometimes they are smooth and sometimes they are a little bumpy or even downright rough (a.k.a. trials & tribulations). He showed me that if life were always a smooth road, then we wouldn’t have to pay attention. We wouldn’t have to learn from Him. We would just cruise through life, emotionally detached and dependent upon ourselves. He also showed me that if the road of life were too bumpy, it would be unmanageable. We would become so consumed with our circumstances that the reason for life (to glorify God and take delight in Him) would pass us by.

I guess that’s partly why in James 1:1 it says: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

In a way only the Lord knows, this gave me comfort as we took our youngest to the hospital.

No comments: